Team sports... what are you doing about them?
Jeremiah has been BUGGING me forever to find a basketball team for him to play on. I have been googling for three straight days. WOW! I cannot find much in my area! However, here are a few tidbits I picked up:
1. According to WIAA bylaws, homeschool children canNOT play on Varsity public school teams. (This was a shocking revelation to me as I had always been under the understanding that they could, but NOPES they cannot compete at the Varsity level.)
2. Dodge County does NOT have many rec leagues! GRRRRRRR! I found a soccer program out of Brownsville that also includes kids from Mayville (the Mayville branch's link is broken right now) and little league in Mayville (which we are just a few days too late to sign up for), but both seem so OFFICIAL! I don't want my child on the fast track to the big leagues... I just want him to have a chance to experience these sports and see if he wants to pursue them any more.
3. Washington County Home School Athletics seems GREAT! (WOW! do I wish they had one of these in Dodge County!) They have a few middle school and pretty many high school teams. However, they give preference to athletes who live within a 20 mile radius of West Bend, and we don't. Also I can't get a reply to my request for information from them. Finally, they don't have a cheer team, which we all know is an IMPORTANT factor in this household.
4. Mountain Top Christian Academy will allow my children to play on their teams; however, at some point (when they are a little older) they require the participants to take one PE class through their school to be a part of their athletic program. (I'm not thinking that will happen for us... kinda defeats the purpose of HOMEschooling in my opinion.)
Sooooooooooooooooo I'm trying to start a team.... I know! I know! I need another thing to do just like I need another hole in my head! But Jeremiah REALLY wants to play! BAD! I wrote a proposal for a basketball team/cheer squad and submitted it to the Program Director at the TAG Center. Wouldn't it be IDEAL if my kiddos could have a team just 10 - 15 minutes away???? If you live near "ish" to Mayville and would have an interest in Boys' Bball and/or Girls' Cheer, shoot me an e-mail and I'll keep you posted on the status.
So finally to the Wanna Know part! I wanna know what you're doing for TEAM SPORTS? What you've found? What you've tried? What you've heard about? Even if it is outside MY area, SHARE because
1. it might give me an idea.
2. it might give someone else in your area an idea.
[On an aside, John's has been teaching our children martial arts for a LONG time, and he is now trying to get certified in a new type of martial arts called Christjitsu. We're hoping he will actually be taking that public and teaching it to others outside our family soon. If you're interested in that, let me know and I'll have him keep you posted on it.]